Sunday, June 3, 2012

Musings 23 ~ The Future of Erotic Novels in Mainstream!

Although my brother and I are betting along basically and we've been bonding, I need my "me time". Hopefully he doesn't think I'm deliberately trying to avoid him.  Be that as it may here I am at the Barnes and Noble having a Strawberry Blended Creme.  I had hoped to get some work done but something I saw on the way into the store, completely floored me.  Are you ready for this?  It was a table piled with books, right at the front door.

"But wait," you say, "Isn't that common at a B&N?  Don't they do that all the time?"

With copies of Fifty Shades Darker?  Don't think so.

I'm sure by now we've all heard of Fifty Shades of Grey and its astronomical success.  Now apparently, (and if you all know this already my apologies because this is the first I'm hearing of it) the books have been picked up by Vintage/Anchor who are an affiliate of Knopf and even higher up the chain -- Random House.

Damn

So does this mean that erotica is finally being accepted into mainstream publishing?

Barnes and Noble as far as I know does not have a section for erotica.  Fifty Shades Darker was not set up in the back with dire content warning signs and ratings or locked up behind a counter requiring proof of age.  It was right there, in front where anyone could see it and purchase it.  I recall when Borders was still with us, they carried erotica in the romance section although it was mainly trade paperbacks from Ellora's Cave and Samhain. But that was only for a short time and I haven't seen anything in the stores since then.

So -- um -- can we have a piece of that pie?

I would ask EL James for a blog interview but she has her own publicist through her publisher and I seriously doubt I'll get a yes.  I just can't help but wonder what this means for me and my fellow erotica authors.  Does it take making millions before we're taken seriously?  Frankly I got sick of people judging the worth of my talent by how much money I make on a work.  I don't know the details behind her contract with Random House but as far as I'm aware they only work through agents so Random House (and probably others) made Ms. James an offer.  Now I'm only guessing.  I don't know for sure.  If anyone does know, feel free to comment with a link.  I went to her site to see if it's been discussed and haven't found anything yet.

(Ah hah!  I did find an e-mail by scrolling down. Still don't believe it will be worth it though).

I wonder if Ms. James reads other works of erotic fiction.  Just curious.

But back to the topic -- will this affect the future of erotica in the mainstream?  Has it already affected us?  Has anyone seen a spike in sales?  Or have people asked the inevitable question, "Why aren't your books making as much as EL James'?

Discuss.

Peace,
CJ




No comments: